Beauty Without Fuss

Wednesday 9 December 2009

Organic Wednesday - Badger Balms



So, a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned lip balms and asked for some suggestions for new ones. I really shouldn't be asking for recommendations, as a bit later on that day I went to my lip balm drawer (what, you mean you don't have a drawer devoted purely to lip balm?)  and found these babies.  Actually, the pic above shows only some of the Badger Balms I have, there are a few more hanging around.  I'm a big fan of them, in case you can't tell!

About Badger:

The original Badger "Healing Balm" is based on a concoction of  extra virgin olive oil, beeswax, castor oil, aloe vera and essential oil of sweet birch (it smells very like root beer, in fact!), and was invented in 1995 by Bill Whyte of New Hampshire.  The brand has since diversified from this one balm into aromatherapy products, hand care, lip care, body butters, soaps and sunscreens.  Badger don't test on animals, only use organic (food grade) ingredients and contain no petrochemicals.

Lippie Says:

I really like these formulations, unlike balms containing petrochemical ingredients, these don't just soothe your lips whilst they're actually sitting on your lips, but keep on protecting and soothing even after there's no balm visibly left on your lips.  Some more mineral-oil based balms can actually leave your lips feeling worse after they've worn off, but not these.  I discovered them via their "Healing Hands" balm, which I've used as a hand cream, and I also swear by their cuticle cream, which is a lovely lemon-scented butter, which works wonders for your nails, I discovered. My favourite of the lip balm sticks is the Chai Rose flavour, which I think has been discontinued, much to my distress.  I also really like their relaxation balms, I don't, in all honesty know how effective they are as aromatherapy products, but they smell nice, and they're lovely to use.

But, don't just take my word for it:


Mr Lippie says:


"Not being someone who regularly uses skincare products of any kind, I was a touch dubious when Get Lippie thrust a small tin of Badger ‘Healing Balm’ upon me, with many exhortations to ‘USE this, dammit!’. Opening it didn’t really help my qualms, as I was faced with a malignant yellow substance that was sticky/slimey to touch, and a waft of overpowering Menthol odour drifted out. I really didn’t think that extract of Badger was supposed to smell like this (nor was I sure what healing powers it had for dry skin), but I gamely resolved to try it anyway. I’ve got dry skin on my elbows (the word ‘scaly’) has been used), so I applied this to them once a day for about a week. The smell disappears in small quantities, the stickiness washes away quite easily, and, luckily, my elbows have not turned yellow. And, more to the point, it actually seems to work – which is nice. My elbows are actually becoming significantly smoother. So, overall, a thumbs up."

High praise indeed, if you ask me.


Editors Note:  No Badgers are harmed in the making of Badger Balm - there are no animal ingredients in any of the products from the range, except beeswax. 
Share:

9 comments

  1. The name of Badger Balm has always put me off - a bit like Dog Oil. I guess I should get over it and accept it as an old style apothecary product.

    It's a brave man that discusses his scaly elbows with the world - don't be a stranger to the blog Mr Lippie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Badger Balms are such good problem solvers. I was given the sleep balm years ago when I was doing my finals at uni and couldn't sleep - it really helped me relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for roping Mr Lippie in, and good on Mr. Lippie for a). testing it and b). allowing himself to be called Mr. Lippie. Props all round then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing these at ULTA, but have never given in to them. But, based on Mr. Lippie's assurance that my elbows won't turn yellow, I may have to actually pick some up next time.
    Thanks for the review, Mr. Lippie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Mr Lippie's contribution. Maybe he could have his own man's eye review where he'd have to find 100 ways of saying: "I think she looks jolly nice, don't you?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to say badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadger MUSHROOM SNAKE!

    Sorry for breaking your comments. Well done Mr Lippie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello to Mr Lippie! Good lord, if I roped the other half in to do a review, he would be Mr Nice Thing. Bet he'd love that!

    I religiously carry some of the tangerine Badger Balm in my handbag. Love it. Except it gets under my nails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love their Sleep Balm. It smells so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, this is Chris from Badger Balm. We love your and Mr. Lippie's stories and thoughts about lip balms! FYI we just filled our last 1343 Chai Rose lip balm tins (not tubes) and once they're gone, they're gone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love hearing from you!

© Get Lippie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig