Beauty Without Fuss

Wednesday 9 June 2010

Review - Skin.NY Skincare

Remember this post? I had a little rant about the Utter Drivel that was written on the boxes, then said I'd be trying the creams out for six weeks, so I could see if they would turn me into Ava Gardner overnight.  Well, 28 nights, but you catch my drift ...

Well, I signed up to try them for six weeks, but I am here to announce that I failed. I'm sorry.  I tried, I really did, but I only lasted two weeks. 

The box warns that you might feel a mild tingling sensation when you use it, I never had that, but what I did get as a result of using the cream was worse.  Much worse.  After about ten days, (in which I really did think my skin was softer as a result of using it, even though there were no visible differences), I found my skin was actually getting worse. Greasy, patchy, red, coarse - seriously, my chin and forehead were resembling sandpaper - and my pores (which according to the bumpf should have been refining themselves) were gaping.  And gopping, but never mind. I've also noticed milia under the skin around my eyes, which I've never had before, and it's been quite distressing.

It's possible that I was having some sort of reaction to the cream, so I stopped using it, as there was a risk that I could permanently damage my skin if I kept it in my routine, and no skin care trial is worth that. So, I'm sorry, lovely readers, I stopped using a cream before my self-imposed time-scale was up. I'm very disappointed with myself!  I've gone back to some tried and tested products (including Mir, Pai and Nude) and I've been treating myself with some Clarins as prescribed by the amazing Caroline over at Beautymouth (do you read her yet?  If not, you really, really should, there's nothing she doesn't know about skin, and she's sharing her knowledge with you, so go read her!) and that seems to be helping with the greasiness and the pores, and Avene water spray (as recommended by BritishBeautyBlogger) is helping with the redness. It's the first time in a long time that my skin has reacted in such a way to a cream, but I've been reminded that my skin is pretty sensitive, I guess. It's calmer now, but it's going to be a while before I introduce any new products.

So, er ... yeah. It didn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you.  I think, in all honesty, that it was just a bit too rich for my skin - which in a way is good news!  I don't need radical cosmetic intervention! - Will you try? And what symptoms would make you stop using a product?
Share:

5 comments

  1. Now this I find really interesting. I hadn't read your previous post about this cream but I've rectified that now. In my working life I used to be involved in carrying out clinical trials of acne treatments and other skin conditions.

    As a rule you test for a period of at least 28 days (a full skin cycle). I've not read the scientific claims of the product, the nauseating guff from the box doesn't actually state what it's supposed to do and I would like to see what the active ingredient is. However, I am wondering if it is a retinol derivative from the reaction you described? I do think it's possible that the change in your skin is supposed to happen, in a similar way to how a peel works, and that you wouldn't see an improvement until after the skin has completely shed.

    The trouble is, if you are not warned this might happen (and of course I could be barking up the wrong tree) how are you supposed to know if it's an adverse reaction to the treatment or an expected side effect? Considering the amount of space used by statements such as 'Warning: You will have beautiful skin after using this product.', surely it would be better to say Warning: This cream may product some inflammation and redness!

    As I say I could be completely wrong but I intend to have a read of their publications!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely plug you Lovely Lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. argh! product fail! hope you're recovering ok! thanks for the heads up! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just googled and found out that NY stands for 'nuture yourself'. HURL.

    Anyway, the blurb on the Harvey Nichols website about this says that it is meant to provide a retinol like effect *without* the peeling etc.

    Active ingredient is QAL-100 complex (Alpha Lipoic Acid, Coenzyme Q10 and Acetyl L Carnitine) I've heard of the first two ingredients, of course, but the third I've only heard of as abused by bodybuilders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't get hold of the full paper which was a shame as I was interested to see how it worked and what the results were.

    I did however discover they were suing Boots regarding the claims the Protect & Perfect claims.

    I've ordered a sample to have a nosy. I'll have to pretend I didn't hear the bit about Nuture Youself though. Euww!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love hearing from you!

© Get Lippie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig