Beauty Without Fuss

Sunday 18 October 2015

Skincare of the Week: 17.10.2015

 

I've been beauty blogging a long time, well over six years now, and in that time my interests have changed. From basically wanting to catalogue my lipstick collection (where the name came from), to learning to love (and grow) my fingernails, then COLOURS, COLOURS, COLOURS, and finally to where I am now, which is obsessed with skincare.  Mostly I'm too lazy to spend hours every day applying my face - though I do wear a different lipstick every day still - so my skin needs to be tip-top at all times, hence the obsession.

My skin is combination-oily, prone to redness and sensitivity, and it is full of pores.  I suffered horrendously from adult on-set acne in my late twenties too - which I mainly cured through getting my skincare right. I'm in the "mature" skin category these days, but a lot of anti-ageing creams are too heavy for my oiliness, so I'm constantly on a quest to deal with my redness rather than my wrinkles (of which at the moment I have thankfully few, but the ones I do have grow slightly more entrenched every day - I'm learning to love them).  These Skincare of the Week posts are my way of diarising what I'm trialling, what I really love, what works - and if you see it disappear after just one use or two - what doesn't work at all.  So read on to find out what's been on my ugly mush this week.




My chin was a little congested last week (hormones, dammit), so I brought out the Darphin Aromatic Cleansing balm with Rosewood, as that just seems to help when I'm going through one of my (quite rare these days), it's clarifying without being stripping, and spots and the associated redness seem to leave just that tiny bit quicker when I use this instead of my richer oils and balms.


 Still a bit in love with anti-oxidant skincare right now, I think it's really helping stop the environment making me so red (rightly or wrongly - but I firmly believe it), so you'll be seeing a lot of the Skinceuticals CE Ferulic and the Aesop Parsley Seed Hydrator in coming weeks.  Both the Merumaya Iconic Youth Serum and the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Eye Balm are relatively new in my routine, but they seem very good so far, but will need a couple more weeks of testing before I come to any firmer conclusions.


This is a classic "Lippie" routine, a balm cleanser,  an acid toner, a more healing (or moisturing) toner, a serum, an eyecream and a moisturiser.  I was agnostic - for years - about toners and serums, thinking they were a con perpetuated on the beauty-buying public, but not I'm firmly converted to the cult.  For me the acid test of a product is in what happens to your skin if you stop using it, and especially when it comes to acid-toners, the difference can be seen in just a couple of days when you stop using them, skin appears duller, thicker, and rougher textured and I always find that distressing when it happens.  I need to get out more.
 

This was Friday's routine.  I was very tired on Friday, and so photographed, like a numpty, two moisturisers, but I only used the Skinceuticals in the end. This is what comes of trying to do skincare before a) 6am and b) a decent cup of tea.


On weekends, I do less in the way of serums and acids, and concentrate on hydration.  As I tend not to wear makeup when I'm not going anywhere, oils come into the fore, as I don't have problems with slidiness. I've been trialling the Omorovicza Miracle Facial Oil for a few weeks now and I like it very much.  It's quite a dry oil, but still fab for adding moisture.  A full review will be upcoming in a couple of weeks.

So, what's your skincare routine?

This post: Skincare of the Week: 17.10.2015 originated at: Get Lippie All rights reserved. If you are not reading this post at Get Lippie, then this content has been stolen by a scraper

Share:

3 comments

  1. I've been taking some tips from Beautypedia over the past few months and have recently started to use toners and serums too.
    I cleanse with Dior Purifying Foaming Cleanser, tone with Lancome Tonique Confort, exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2%BHA gel and use Play Regenerating Serum. Usually my SPF is in my BB cream and I tend to switch that up often. I really love the serum and BHA as I have larger pores and am starting to focus more on anti-aging as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat a serum these days, I think! Giving up foaming cleansers forever was one of the best things I ever did for my skin though - have you thought about something more balm-y/Oily?

      Delete
  2. I love your skincare products! You're a great inspiration x

    Theskindiary.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love hearing from you!

© Get Lippie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig